Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ah, My Bicycle,

What a beautiful thing it is!
I went on a lovely ride after school today, up Sunset, then up Dosch to Fairmount. I did a few laps on the loop. Then I got the reward of riding down Dosch to Beaverton Hillsdale. I hate riding up BH, I mean, it doesn't look like that much of a hill but for some reason it just sucks, way more than Dosch.
I must say, people in cars are such idiots. This one woman backed out with out even looking, if I weren't paying attention she would've hit me. Then in a no passing zone there was a car driving on the wrong side of the road to pass another car. I thought the double yellow lines meant something!
Oh, well it was still rather enjoyable, despite the lack of sunlight the landscape was aesthetically pleasing. The leaves, both on the ground and on the trees, were colored beautifully. The air was cool and crisp. Though I doubt it will be like this much longer, which is really unfortunate, I have been enjoying riding after school so much...

2 comments:

Andy Wilson said...

Cheers Fi and missing you at cross.

I hear you on the B-H.

It doesn't seem that bad, but for some reason, after the zoom down Dosch, I usually can't spin up B-H too fast either. I usually pop over into the parking lot to let the first surge of traffic come by -- four lanes of people trying to get somewhere else.

And then there is that little bit of Bertha heading south that zips under Capitol Highway. With the triangle construction it seems a little tighter than normal.

How soon are they going to re-work that whole B-H/Capitol/Bertha malfunction?

I dread the blue lane too - about that time in my ride, I am ready to take Capitol Hill road rather than over the hill on Capitol Highway, fighting the left veer off of Vermont back on to CH.
----
On the other hand, going straight south on 30th from Dosch is a bit of a grunt up to Vermont, but there is a rideable shoulder up to the last two blocks and if I was smart, I would probably go over to 32nd for less traffic, but I have never done that. Maybe today, since it is looking wet.

See you out there

Fiona Graham said...

I so agree about the blue lane!!! I hate that thing... No I despise it.

But the little section of Bertha that zipps under capitol I never ride... I live on capitol so it wouldn't make much sense for me to cross under it riding home.

Oh, and I'll be at the cross race this weekend, but I'm not racing. I'm going to go and watch.

Looking foward to seeing everyone there! Be sure to stop bye and say hey!